As we hinted in our last post here, exciting things are happening with the Nova Contemporary Jazz Orchestra this fall. First, we’re pleased to announce that our 8th CD, Who Says You Can’t Dance to Bebop, will be released soon. We’ll have a big CD release party at the Shorewood Bar & Grill on Tuesday, October 25 at 7pm.
This new recording, which promises to be one of Nova’s best, features 9 works by Minnesotan composers who write in the jazz idiom, some of whom are members of our orchestra.
- What: CD release party for Nova’s new recording, Who Says You Can’t Dance to Bebop
- When: Tuesday, October 25, 7pm
- Where: Shorewood Bar & Grill in Fridley
- Admission: Free
Everyone is invited to our CD release party. Come and bring a friend! Also, see what Barry Harris says about dancing to bebop.
Nova, Jazz from J to Z and KBEM Celebrate Kenton’s 100th
Back in February, we noted here that composer Bill Mathieu came to visit Nova to rehearse 14 compositions he had originally written for the Stan Kenton Orchestra in the late 50s. While Mathieu’s arranging talents were featured on Standards In Silhouette, Kenton never recorded the works rehearsed and performed by Nova. We’d like to formally announce that the Nova Contemporary Jazz Orchestra has recorded every one of Bill Mathieu’s heretofore unrecorded compositions written for Stan Kenton. As a result of that project, Nova is delighted to take part in another big event:
- What: TCJS/Big Band Scene Stan Kenton 100th birthday celebration and CD Release Party. 1st set: Minnetonka High School Jazz Band I. 2nd Set: Nova Contemporary Jazz Orchestra’s 14 newly recorded works by Bill Mathieu**Nova’s studio recording of these compositions will be released by Tantara Productions.
- When: Thursday, December 1, 2011, 7:30pm
- Where: 18285 Highway 7, Minnetonka, MN 55345-4131 (Arts Center)
- Admission: Adults: $10 Students: $5 TCJS/KBEM Members: $7